Saturday, July 9, 2011

Rich Young Ruler

Matthew 19:16-30
Mark 10:17-31
Luke 18:18-30

When the staff in Romania first asked me to pray about joining them on staff, this story was the first one that caused me to start seriously considering it. (The story that finally convinced me was the one I mentioned in my support letter about the Titanic.) I went to church, and this story was preached. It was in english during an international service. I found myself relating so much to that rich young ruler.

Sometimes I'll even have that same conversation with Jesus. "I've been good. I haven't killed anyone lately. I haven't stolen any cars. What else do you want me to do, Jesus?" "Sell everything you own, and follow me." In my context the follow me refers to going to Romania. The trouble is, that even if I sell everything, it still won't get me there.

In order to reach my minimum monthly support goal I still need $685 per month in supporters, or $16,440 (2 years). Even if I sold my car, tv, surround sound system, gaming system, and games for twice what they're worth, it wouldn't cover it, and people aren't going to buy those things for twice what they're worth. The rest of my possessions aren't worth anything, just some old clothes and yearbooks. I really don't see how I can possibly raise enough money to get back to Romania...

If Jesus has a different perspective using His Heavenly wisdom that supersedes my Earthly wisdom, He certainly hasn't told me about it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment