Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bad Attitude

This is a story of my bad attitude and God's response.

The main thing we do here is go to class. For about six hours every day we are sitting in the classroom listening to different people talk about different things. This is the situation from the perspective of my bad attitude:


Teacher: Today we're going to talk about this and that.

Bad Attitude: This and that?? I already know that stuff. Can't we talk about something else?

Teacher: Here are some statements and some Bible verses to back them up.

Bad Attitude: You just gave me 25 different verses, and told me to go and meditate on them. I might as well just read the whole Bible!

Teacher: Do you have any questions?

Bad Attitude: No, because I already know this stuff. God, why can't we just sit around and have a round table discussion about things. That would be interesting. These classes are so pointless. I'd much rather just read my Bible, and the books they've been giving me, and fellowship with my fellow believers.

God: I heard that.

Teacher: Okay, before we head to lunch, I have some announcements. The afternoon class that we were supposed to have is cancelled. Feel free to use that time to get to know one another. These five months are going to be over before you know it. Also, on Friday, instead of me talking so much, how about I talk less and we leave more time for discussion?

Bad Attitude: I'm melting!

Normal Mike: Wow, God. I had a bad attitude and you responded with grace. I would have smote me. (Smited? Smoten? Smitten?)



"My grace is sufficient for you."

I am just a little blown away right now by the fact that God's patience is more than my stubborness. I'm a very stubborn person, and God patience exceeds it.

Jesus, I repent of my bad attitude. It should be exicting to me to know You so well that each topic is one that I already know about. I'm so foolish and forgetful and reminders of who You are are always a good thing. At the same time, I know that I don't know everything. Continue to reveal new things to me about your character in my quiet times and as I read the books they keep giving me. (I'm starting Wild At Heart soon.)

Thank You so much for Your grace. Amen.

1 comment: