Monday, January 3, 2011

Four More Days

Seven comes after three, right? Today is the third, tomorrow is the seventh. Then I can get on my plane and fly to Romania. Right?

My trip is just a few days away and it still doesn't feel like I'm actually going. Romania is just this dream I had once, and it would be nice if it were real, but it isn't. That's what I feel like right now.

Everything is ready to go. I have my bags mostly packed up. I still need to wait for a couple packages to arrive in the mail, and I still need to make one more phone call to my loan people, but I'm pretty much ready to leave.

Have I mentioned that waiting is one of the hardest things for me, and the story of Abraham having to wait until he was 100 to get his promised son is one of my least favorite stories in the Bible?

I'm completely fine with short term waiting: traffic, in line at the bank, etc. That has an end date that is only, at the most, a couple hours away. Long term waiting is much harder. The hardest is when you don't even know the end date. God told Abraham, "I'm going to bless you with a son some day in the future," but Abraham didn't really know when. That would be the worst for me. That would drive me insane.

That is one of the differences between me and God. I'm all about destinations, and God is all about the journey. Think about the Israelites wandering in the desert for forty years. You think God wasn't at work during those years? You think He was just waiting around until they finally reached their destination? Or what about Noah on the ark for forty days and nights? If God's only purpose was to wipe out life with a flood, He could have done that in a day.

Some things can only be taught in those moments of waiting. If God has you in a period of waiting, pray about it. Ask Him what He's trying to teach you. Oh! That reminds me. I need to ask God what He's trying to teach me. (Hahaha, whenever I type something that sounds preachy, it's because God is preaching to me. I always reach the end and think, Holy Crap, that applies to me!)

Four more days!

2 comments:

  1. ahhhh waaaaiting... i know the feeling! right now i definitely feel like i'm waiting with no known end in sight. i don't like it so much either, but certainly a time to learn things

    ReplyDelete