Thursday, January 27, 2011

Driver

I'm stealing this story from my teacher.

There was a king in a far off country. He had an amazing driver. The driver always took the best routes and never endangered the king by taking short cuts through rough neighborhoods. However, the driver was very old and it was time for him to retire. The king gathered his servants and told them to go out into the kingdom and find him another driver that was as good as the previous one.

His servents went throughout the kingdom. They searched high and low for the best drivers in all the land. After weeks of searching they finally came back with three of the most respected and professional drivers they could find.

The king brought in the first driver to ask him one question. "If you are my driver, and we are driving on a mountain road, how close to the edge can you drive without going over?" The first driver thought for a second then responded, "I'm so good that I can get within 12 inches of the edge and not go over." The king nodded and sent him away.

The king brought in the second driver to ask him the same question. "If you are my driver, and we are driving on a mountain road, how close to the edge can you drive without going over?" The second driver paused to consider the situation. "I am such a good driver that I can get within six inches of the edge without going over." The king nodded and sent him away.

The king brought in the third driver to ask him the same question as the other two. "If you are my driver, and we are driving on a mountain road, how close to the edge can you drive without going over?" The third driver looked confused. "How close to the edge? I beg your pardon, but when I drive up a mountain I stay as close to the mountain as possible." The king smiled. He had found his driver.


Being a Christian is not about how close you can get to the world and still be a Christian, it's about how close you can get to God.

I've heard this before, but not attached to the cool driver story. It was attached to some other story that wasn't as cool. Everytime I hear it, I nod and say, "Yes, I agree," and then I go on living my life as I always do. Why?

Why don't I find practical ways to live this out? Why don't I choose my Bible instead of watching TV? Here on this DTS it's really easy to draw near to God. Why wasn't it easy back home? Was it my environment? If you surround yourself with people that only care about video games and girls, you might find that eventually those are the only things you care about. If you're on a diet, it doesn't make sense to hang out in a donut shop.

Yes we should have friends from all over the place, but do not be conformed to this world. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:something.

3 comments:

  1. Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will.
    NIV

    Good story Mike. I am enjoying your thoughts. Time alone with God is precious. God's speed my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every relationship takes two things....time and effort....every relationship. And that is why it becomes special....because of the time and effort!
    Mom ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have looked up which verse it was, but I wanted to make people go look it up. ;) Good job Dad.

    ReplyDelete