Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Reading

Today is a reading day. I decided to do one of those 'read the Bible in a year' things this year. I did it in 2009 and it was awesome. Before I left Reality, I found a pamphlet that mapped it all out for me. I get a little Old Testament, a little New Testament, a little Psalms, and a little Proverbs every day. It's really awesome having that mix every day.

However, like I said earlier, today is a reading day. It's only 4 days into the new year and I'm already three days behind on my Bible reading. :-p

Also, I spent my morning and lunch time reading through my latest novel. I lollygagged about proofreading it because I didn't think it was any good, but I'm half way through reading it, and it's a decent enough story. Not good enough that I care too much about making it better, but good enough that if you want to read it, I can send it to you.

At the start of November, I had all these ideas in my head that I wanted to play with. From a philosophical standpoint, they're fun ideas to discuss, but from a plot standpoint, I'm not sure they make the greatest stories. Or, if they do, I'm not able to write them. Stories with a clear cut antagonist are much simpler. :)

Ideas in my novel that I was playing with:
Identity: What makes you, you? How much can you change and still retain your definition of self.
Trust/Manipulation: How easy is it to manipulate someone into trusting you? How hard is it to build trust, and how easy is it to tear it down?
Slippery Slope: No one ever wakes up and decides to jump off a mountain. It's often the small compromises that get us to the bottom.
Glory/Ambition: What would you be willing to give up if it meant being remembered forever?

Let me know if you want to read it.

PS, I should mention that Romania is starting to feel real. Things I was putting off to do right before I left need to get done because I'm running out of time. I have to go to Walmart tomorrow. How much deodorant do I need to last me six months...?

No comments:

Post a Comment