Friday, January 28, 2011

Me or You?

Just a quick thought before I head out to watch a movie with the rest of the people here.

If you only want to sing songs to yourself, all you really need to know is the words and the melody. You don't really need to know who sings it or the name of the song. However, if you want to share this song with someone else, it's critical that you know the singer and song name. People can search on the lyrics, but it's so much easier with the name.

The same is true of Bible verses. I know a lot of verses, but I don't know their references. That's fine for me. I know that even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, that I don't have to fear evil. But if I want someone else to know that, then I have to know that it is from Psalm 23.

I'm going to start trying to memorize the references to all the verses I know (and the titles of the songs I'm singing). Quiz me sometime. :)

2 comments:

  1. These are from memory so they may not be perfect:

    "Be kind and gentle to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave you."

    "Remember in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who are called according to his purpose."

    "Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

    "These things are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name."

    "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but of power, of love and of self control."

    I don't know which verses you've memorized but these are popular ones so I imagine some of them are on your list. Come to think of it I'm a little shaky on the address of some of these. No googling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know a few of these, but none of the references. I'll look them up and have them memorized in the next couple days. :)

    ReplyDelete