Monday, January 17, 2011

The Giving Tree

Today we did an exercise where we had to draw four pictures. The first was a picture representing your past. The second was a picture representing the happiest memory you have. The third was a picture representing the saddest memory you have. And the fourth was a picture of either what you hope to get out of this DTS or who you hope to be in the future.

I thought of the first and last pictures immediately, but the other two took some thinking.

For the first picture, I drew myself standing on a podium holding a first place trophy. That represents my past because I've done a lot of good things in my life, and for a long time, it was a huge sense of pride for me to have done those things. Now I try to be more humble about things, but sometimes I'm probably too humble. For example, God will tell me something, and I won't share it. "Don't be prideful Mike, what God told you isn't that amazing. You don't have to share it with the group." I've been trying to fight that, but it's a process.

The second picture I drew a couple of people sitting at a table playing a board game. I knew most people would talk about Jesus as their happiest moment, so I picked a different moment that wasn't Jesus related. I felt a bit weird to be the only one that didn't say something about Jesus in my happiest moment picture, but they already know I love Jesus. They didn't know I love board games, so I drew that.

The memory I was thinking of was the last time (and every time) we played telephone pictionary as a family. We were all laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt. I love laughing that hard.

The saddest moment took me a while to think of. No one has really died or abandoned me or anything tragic like that (thankfully!). The moment that came to mind is back when I was in high school, and John was in the hospital after smashing his head on a rock in a mountain bike crash. I was at school eating my lunch and I didn't really know how John was doing. He had been in the hospital for a few days at that point.

I have this vivid memory of the school announcing my name on the speaker system and asking me to come to the office. I just knew in the pit of my stomach that I was about to get some very bad news. That was the longest walk to the office ever. I forget what the news was, but it wasn't good news.

Thankfully John recovered, but when they announced my name on the speaker system, that was a very sad moment in my life as I imagined the worst had happened.

Then the fourth picture I drew a picture of a stump. That's who I hope to be in the future...metaphorically. Have you guys read The Giving Tree? It's a story about a boy and a tree. When the boy is young, the tree gives its shade. When the boy is older the tree gives its apples. When the boy is a man, the tree gives its branches so that he can build a house. Finally when the man is an old man, the tree is only a stump, but he can still offer him a place to sit.

That's who I want to be. By the end of my life I don't want to have anything left that I could have given away to God or other people.

(Side note: After sharing this, one of my friends asked me to find him a copy of The Giving Tree. I went online and printed him out one, but as I was reading the actual story I discovered that the boy is kind of a jerk to the tree. That made me a little sad for the tree.)

2 comments:

  1. The little boy was indeed a jerk, but that doesn't change that the tree was happy to give anything and everything it had out of love. We used to read that book at the JH Ranch before giving the students a talk about their parents ... I think it's a beautiful image of good parenting through thick and thin.

    I smiled really big just now at your board games drawing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allow me to describe the picture I drew. It was a side view of two people sitting at a table, facing each other. On the table was a board and there were a couple of pawns on the board. They weren't playing chess though because they were also each holding five cards. What game is that, you ask? I don't know. It's probably not any game.

    ReplyDelete